Anglo Irish / Gallowglass
Similar ideas popular now
MAYNOOTH CASTLE The castle was probably begun by Gerald FitzGerald, Baron of Offaly, in 1203. It was enlarged by John, 6th Earl of Kildare, in 1426. In 1535, during the rebellion of its owner, Silken Thomas, the castle was captured by the Lord deputy, William Skeffington. Gerald, 11th Earl of Kildare, regained the castle and estates in 1552. The building was restored in 1630 by the Earl of Cork and occupied by the Confederate Catholics in 1641. It was abandoned by the Fi
Sword hilt. Brass and iron. Hand and a half grip, cylindrical grip, iron, with brass band. Double pommel, first part iron, circular, domed either side with brass rosette. Second part circular, flat with brass disc on either side. Straight quillons, (one partly missing,) terminating in quatrefoil ornament with brass plate on either side. Found in River Barrow, near Monasterevan. Possibly Irish, 15th century.