Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

Aerial View, Deptford, Lewisham, 1925 Deptford at its most industrial, showing the newly completed Deptford West power station. Prominently visible is Deptford dry dock and Wood Wharf on the east side of Deptford Creek. Creek Road, with its more ancient neighbour 'The Stowage', ran from the centre bottom to the centre right of the picture.Many of the Victorian terraces to the left were shortly to be redeveloped by the London County Council as the Hughes Field Estate.The ancient parish…

This old photo shows the area where Evelyn Street on the left (out of view) crossed the end of Deptford High St to meet Wellington St (Flagons Row) on the right. Center, slightly right shows the entrance into Old King St which went into Watergate St at the far end. To the left we can see New King St. All this area was demolished to make way for Evelyn St to join up with Creek Road.

Prince Street, Deptford, 1931.These early eighteenth century houses were known as New Row for a century, before more sensibly taking their place as part of Prince Street.They must have been built with shipbuilders in mind, as the main gate of the Deptford Royal Dockyard was just around the corner.The old houses originally extended to opposite the dockyard gate, but the ones in the distance, including the Tiger Cat pub, were rebuilt in the 1880s.The new houses and the pub were destroyed…

Isle Of Dogs, North London Railway, Blackwall Railway, The Thames, Greenwich Reach, Deptford, South Eastern Railway, Deptford Creek, New Cross, & Greenwich; & References No 3, & 107

This 60's photo shows the Oxford Arms viewed from Church Street heading South to Deptford Broadway. The old Robinson Flour Mill can be seen in the background.The old Tide mills were replaced by Robinson’s steam powered flour mill in the 1820s which was finally demolished after a fire in the 1970s.