Great Western Railway warehouse at Poplar dock, London, about 1900. Although Poplar dock was owned by the North London Railway, other railway companies used the docks' warehouses to store goods, especially those that were to be transported to towns along lines other than those of the NLR. London's docks had expanded rapidly at the start of the 19th century. The coming of the railways helped this expansion by transporting goods to and from the docks.
The original entrance to the East India Docks, c1890. The security of the area was provided by means of tall walls and a private police force. All port police forces in the UK to this day are still private