CANOGA is the oldest high school in the west San Fernando Valley. It opened with 14 students and 3 teachers on October 4, 1914. Canoga was originally named Owensmouth High School. This photo was taken in the summer of 1968.
In 1931, the town of Owensmouth changed its name to Canoga Park. Despite protests from alumni, the school was also renamed CANOGA PARK HIGH. It was felt this would avoid confusion and "more closely identify the school with the community." This is a picture of Canoga Park High School in 1938.
For 40 years, the Greek styled 100 Building was the pride of Canoga Park. It housed the School Library, the Administrative Offices, and served as a well-known community landmark. In 1971, unfortunately, the building suffered severe damage in the Sylmar earthquake. It was condemned and demolished in the summer of 1975. This photo was taken in Spring 1975
Helen Lundeberg's murals QUESTS OF MANKIND have been a prominent feature on our campus since 1940. She created them during the Great Depression while working for the W.P.A.'s Federal Art Project. The murals originally hung as five separate pieces on the outside north wall of the Assembly Hall. Today, they are displayed on the Oral Arts Building, which was built against the Assembly Hall in 1978. The Mural Conservancy of Los Angeles lists these works in their Mural Index.