Arkwright Street Station The Meadows, Nottingham | Transport | The Meadows | Nottingham City | Notts Places
Photo:Arkwright Street The Meadows (Station entrance on the left) It opened in 1899 and closed in 1969. It was demolished in 1975/6 and no evidence of it remains today.
Carrington Station on the Great Central Mainline, about 1899, near the junction of Gregory Boulevard and Mansfield Road in Nottingham, one stop north of Nottingham Victoria Station. The cutting with the platforms was filled in the 1980's and built on. The Great Central was designed and built in the 1890s, by the Victorian visionary Sir Edward Watkin, as a link to a proposed Channel Tunnel, a hundred years before its time.
Weekday Cross Junction, Nottingham (1979)
The Gt Central line ran along the viaduct on the right, on towards The Meadows area. The Gt Northern High Level line to Grantham via Netherfield and Colwick followed the line on the left. A signal box originally stood on the point between the two viaducts.
Watch Incinerate - With Coal - BFI Player
Intriguing glimpses of everyday life in 1970s Nottingham form the backdrop to this film about local refuse being converted into heating for new homes. As a woman, the film's director, Joan Duff, was a rare phenomenon in the film industry. She worked for the prolific Film Unit of the National Coal Board, who produced this film, as well as for the BBC.