London then and now split photos

Collection by K

30 
Pins
 • 
18 
Followers

Angel, Islington, Lyons Cafe & Restaurant 1930's & 2013

The ornamental windows on the ground and first floors have been replaced and the building is now home to the Co-operative Bank. N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Angel, Islington, travelling from Rosebery Avenue to Islington Green. To see a disappeared world of electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres, fashions and architecture, click this link www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157638560394736/

View of: The Thames and St Paul’s from Bankside

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: London, then and now

View of: The Thames and St Paul’s from Bankside

Nag's Head junction and Parkhurst Road looking east 1950's & 2014

N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Holloway Road, from Archway to Highbury Corner. To see a disappeared world of horse trams, electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres, fashions and architecture, click this link.... www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157626135089492/

View of: The United Service Club, at the corner of Waterloo Place

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: London, then and now

A new book, 'The Queens' London', makes a striking comparison of the city in the diamond Jubilee years of Victoria and Elizabeth II.

Wells, Somerset in 1906 and as it looks today. Perhaps now best known for its starring role as the sleepy fictional town of Sandford in the 2007 #film 'Hot Fuzz' #UK #history #localhistory

The History Press | Local history

Wells, Somerset in 1906 and as it looks today. Perhaps now best known for its starring role as the sleepy fictional town of Sandford in the 2007 #film 'Hot Fuzz' #UK #history #localhistory

In the top pic, two trolleybuses on route 639 to Hampstead turn from Chalk Farm Road into Ferdinand Street sometime in the late 1950's. More than fifty years later, the same scene shows that, apart from a few small alterations, the buildings on the left have hardly changed. However, the new road constructed on the right leads to the giant Morrison's supermarket, built on land previously used by the railways. (N.B. This picture is from the Camden Town set, which includes photos taken ...

195-Camden Town then and now (9)

In the top pic, two trolleybuses on route 639 to Hampstead turn from Chalk Farm Road into Ferdinand Street sometime in the late 1950's. More than fifty years later, the same scene shows that, apart from a few small alterations, the buildings on the left have hardly changed. However, the new road constructed on the right leads to the giant Morrison's supermarket, built on land previously used by the railways. (N.B. This picture is from the Camden Town set, which includes photos taken in…

Past & present in NW London - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

Past & present in NW London

Past & present in NW London - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

Kentish Town station | by Tetramesh

Kentish Town station

(1955) (2016) This view shows Kentish Town station on the east side of Kentish Town Road. The station was opened by the Midland Railway (MR) on their new extension of the Midland Main Line into London on 13th July 1868. Originally the station was located between Camden Road station and Haverstock Hill station, both stations have since closed. Between 1878 and 1880 it was served by trains running on the Super Outer Circle which was a service operated by the MR. The Charing Cross, Euston and…

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: London, then and now

A new book, 'The Queens' London', makes a striking comparison of the city in the diamond Jubilee years of Victoria and Elizabeth II.

Queen's Crescent | by Tetramesh

Queen's Crescent

(c.1907) (2017) » Now and Then: Localities » Now and Then: Film and Television

Covent Garden - The old photographs used in the updates were taken by renowned late 19th and 20th Century photographers, including Henry Grant, Wolfgang Suschitsky, Roger Mayne and George Davison Reid, who made the image on the right at the corner of Long Acre and James Street, Covent Garden, in 1930.

In pictures: London now and then

Old meets new in hybrid images from the Museum of London - and a new app allows people to make their own.

Thatcham House was built in 1869 for the Reverend Hezekiah & Isobel Martin. The house consisted of over thirty rooms & a 60ft high tower. In 1951 the house was modernised & converted into 3 flats. Today the house itself looks the same, although internally a lot has changed & the grounds have all but disappeared. In 1980, the house had deteriorated to the point where Newbury District Council issued a closing order. By 1988 the house, along with the coach house, was converted into offices.

The History Press | Local history

Thatcham House was built in 1869 for the Reverend Hezekiah & Isobel Martin. The house consisted of over thirty rooms & a 60ft high tower. In 1951 the house was modernised & converted into 3 flats. Today the house itself looks the same, although internally a lot has changed & the grounds have all but disappeared. In 1980, the house had deteriorated to the point where Newbury District Council issued a closing order. By 1988 the house, along with the coach house, was converted into offices.

Taken roughly from the same spot as pic 195, these shots show the corner of Chalk Farm Road and a clear view down Ferdinand Street, from where the trolleybus has come and is about to turn left to make it's way over the Grand Union Canal bridge and on to Camden Town shopping centre. The little parade of shops on the right in Ferdinand Street are still there, although the corner building has been greatly altered. Trees obscure the view now, but walking up Ferdinand Street, it's clear th...

196-Camden Town then and now (10)

Taken roughly from the same spot as pic 195, these shots show the corner of Chalk Farm Road and a clear view down Ferdinand Street, from where the trolleybus has come and is about to turn left to make it's way over the Grand Union Canal bridge and on to Camden Town shopping centre. The little parade of shops on the right in Ferdinand Street are still there, although the corner building has been greatly altered. Trees obscure the view now, but walking up Ferdinand Street, it's clear that much…