Louise Boisen Schmidt
Last updated 2 years ago
ARTIFACTS of the Tudors
1544. Another fine example of the decorative use of Heraldry occurs on a copy of Petrarch printed at Venice in 1544, and probably bound about 1548, after the death of Henry VIII. It belonged to Queen Catherine Parr, and bears her arms with several quarterings—worked appliqué on rich blue purple velvet, and measures 7 by 6 inches.
When Catherine Parr married Henry VIII in 1543 - here captured in an 18th century drawing - she had already been married twice. Parr was married to Edward Burgh in 1529 and widowed in 1533. She then married John Neville in 1534, only to be widowed again in 1543. She married Henry VIII in the summer of that year.
Door to South Hall, Sudley - it remained closed for centuries. It was where Katherine prepared for childbirth (Aug 30). It was opened on the 500th anniversary of Katherine's birth, revealing a walkway to the Queen's private apartments and a covered walkway that Queen Katherine and Lady Jane Grey would use to go to say their prayers at chapel. - from the Queen Katherine Parr facebook page