Appleby Castle is in the town of Appleby, Cumbria overlooking the River Eden. It consists of a 12th-century castle keep which is known as Caesar's Tower, and a mansion house. The castle was founded by Ranulf le Meschin at the beginning of the 12th century. The upper parts of Caesar's Tower were altered in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Mirehouse was built in 1666 by Charles Stanley, 8th Earl of Derby, who sold it in 1688 to his agent, Roger Greg. The Greg family and then the Storys owned the estate until 1802 when it was given by Thomas Story to John Spedding. The Spedding family have owned Mirehouse ever since.
Dalemain, Penrith, Cumbria - The first recorded mention of a building on this site, is of a fortified pele tower in the reign of Henry II. To this was added a manor hall in the 14th century, with a 2nd tower & in turn, in the 16th century were added two wings housing kitchen & living quarters, one on each side of the main building.The impressive Georgian front was completed in 1744, built to enclose a central courtyard between the new & the old parts of the house.