1900 Runcorn, Halton Village, 1900's Further Information: A view of a row of terraced cottages, a thatched cottage and the end of a barn, with the ruins of Halton Castle behind them. Two boys, one holding a wooden hoop and stick, are standing on the left of the picture. This is a sepia image.
Halton Castle is in the former village of Halton which is now part of the town of Runcorn, Cheshire, England. Halton Castle stands on a prominent rocky hill overlooking the River Mersey. A location which must have been chosen for its "elevated position and excellent potential as an observation post". It was also an easily defensible site, a military stronghold capable of repelling attack.
Harlton Castle is a former village of Halton which is now part of Runcorn, Cheshire, England. The castle is situated on top of Halton Hill, a sandstone prominence overlooking the village. It was the the seat of Barons of Halton from the 11th century until the 14th and it then passed to the Duchy of Lancaster. It was besieged twice in the Civil War after which its structure deteriorated. In the 18th century a new courthouse was built on the site of the previous gatehouse.