The Women's Army Corps (WAC) was the women's branch of the United States Army. It was created as an auxiliary unit, the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) on 15 May 1942 by Public Law 554, and converted to full status as the WAC in 1943. Its first director was Oveta Culp Hobby, a prominent society woman in Texas.
Smiling women at work during WWII. They did much of the manufacturing work until the men came home from overseas, and they went home, period. From Pavel Kosenko's blog. http://pavelkosenko.wordpress.com/