Ready for Active Service: Camp Hughes, Manitoba. Camp Hughes, situated approximately one hundred and thirty kilometres west of Winnipeg, was established in 1910 as Camp Sewell, to meet the need for a central training camp in Military District No. 10. In 1915 its name was changed to Camp Hughes in honour of the Minister of Militia and Defence. During the years 1915 and 1916, approximately thirty-eight thousand men trained there.