Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot UK, opened on 18 July 1879. In the First World War, it was the first base hospital to receive casualties directly from the Western Front. It was also the first place where plastic surgery was performed in the British Empire. After the WW2, civilians were admitted to the hospital. It was closed on 2 February 1996 due to the high cost of running the old building and discovery of asbestos in the walls.