Stop 7 to 8: Eventually, peace--sort of--was established and Fort Dearborn was rebuilt in 1816. A mile west of the fort, at the spot where the river splits into two branches, the first permanent trading post in the region grew up. On the north bank, furs, pelts and, eventually, logs from the vast northwoods were traded for gold, and over on the south bank, that gold was traded for whiskey. It was Chicago's first business district. ChicagoBart606.