A walled building in Warwick dates back to 914 when it was built to protect against the Danish invaders. William the Conquerer had a mote and bailey fort erected in 1068. The wooden structure was replaced with stone in 1260. More improvements have been made over the years. Today there is much to enjoy in and around the castle grounds.