63, 64, 65, 66, JOHN STREET. Slum houses condemned and boarded up, March 21st 1912. Those shown above were renovated and reconstructed to be used as mens hostel, but 65 and 66 were demolished and later rebuilt as a womens hostel.
NORTH STREET AND QUEEN SQUARE. Derelict houses, 113, 114, 115, North Street in 1938. They were to remain like this, shored up, until 1951 when they were removed as unsafe and the site has been completely empty ever since.
Laying the tram rails in Marlborough Place. Note the King and Queen Hotel, rebuilt in 1931 and old fashioned private houses adjoining. At this period Victoria Gardens were enclosed within a high iron fence.