The Great Bible - Thomas Cromwell’s injunctions of September 1538 required every parish to purchase a copy of an English Bible and place it in ‘some convenient place’ for all to see and read. To meet this demand, the Great Bible, so called because of its size, was put into production. This particular Bible with its coloured title page was very probably Henry VIII’s personal copy.
May 6, 1541, King Henry VIII ordered that a copy of the Bible in English be placed in every parish church with instructions that the Scriptures were to be read "humbly and meekly, reverently and obediently." The Great Bible placed in the churches was basically a revision of Tyndale's translation done by Myles Coverdale. However, King Henry intended these Bibles to be used in the churches under the watchful eye of the church, and he still restricted the private use of the Bible.
Katherine of Aragon, 1511 Detail of Katherine of Aragon from the Westminster Tournament Roll which illustrates the two-day tournament that was held to celebrate the birth of Katherine and Henry VIII’s short-lived son, prince Henry (February 1511).