BEAULIEU ABBEY - hampshire england Pope Innocent III constituted Beaulieu an "exempt abbey", meaning that the abbot had to answer to no bishop save the Pope himself. Beaulieu was also invested by the same Pope with special privileges of sanctuary, much stronger than usual and covering not only the abbey itself but all the 23.5ha precinct around that had been originally granted by King John. As Beaulieu was the only abbey in its region with such large and strongly enforced sanctuary…
Beaulieu Abbey-Palace House is a 13th-century house located in Beaulieu, Hampshire. It was originally built in the 13th century as the Great Gatehouse of Beaulieu Abbey and has been the ancestral home of a branch of the Montagu family since 1538, when it was bought from the crown following the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII.
The Beaulieu Palace House (/ˈbjuːlɪ/) is a 13th-century house located in Beaulieu, Hampshire. Originally part of Beaulieu Abbey, the estate was bought by Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton in 1538, following the Dissolution of the Monasteries and is still owned and occupied by the earl's descendants, the Barons Montagu of Beaulieu.
Palace House, Beaulieu. Palace House has been home to Lord Montagu's family since 1538 when it was converted from the great gatehouse of the Cistercian abbey founded in 1204, and further enlarged in the 19th century.