Naber, Alfs & Brune began life as Ehlers & Brand in 1871. They were wholesale liquor dealers at 322 Clay Street. Ehlers left the company in 1875, selling his interests to Henry D. Naber. Brand and Naber then moved to 413 Front St. in 1877. In 1880, Ernest Brand, the senior partner, sold out to William Alfs and Henry Brune and the familiar Naber, Alfs and Brune was born. The company name Naber, Alfs and Brune continued until Prohibition.