Looking north on Lake Shore Drive, c. 1885. During the late 19th century, Lake Shore Drive was a relatively quiet boulevard used for carriage rides along the lakefront. The date is probably the mid-1880s, shortly after construction of the home of Bertha and Potter Palmer (1882, at 1350 North Lakeshore Drive), visible on the left.
The first lake tunnel was completed in 1869 and connected to the Water Tower and Pumping Station at Chicago and Michigan Avenues. Today, multiple lake tunnels and pumping stations constitute Chicago's water system. Photographer: Unknown Source: Chicago Historical Society (ICHi-02792) http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/10768.html