A March, 1863 photo of the USS Essex. The 1000-ton ironclad river gunboat, originally a steam-powered ferry, was acquired during the American Civil War by the US Army in 1861 for the Western Gunboat Flotilla. She was transferred to the US Navy in 1862 and participated in several operations on the Mississippi River, including the capture of Baton Rouge and Port Hudson in 1863. (LOC) #
The Tennessee broadside-to-broadside with the Oneida; monitor Chickasaw badgering the Confederate from point-blank range at left, Winnebago in background; bowsprit-less ("knockabout") wooden gunboat USS Pequot at right rear. Painting by Tom Freeman.
"USS LEHIGH" (1863) was a (200') Passaic Class Monitor – Commissioned: 15 April 1863 – Crew: 88 Officers and Sailors – Armament: 1 x 15 Inch (381mm) Smoothbore Cannon and 1 x 8 Inch (203mm) Parrott Rifle – She Performed Blockade Duty in the Hampton Roads-Virginia Capes Area, and on the Night of 10 June 1863 Joined a Flotilla Under Rear Admiral Samuel Phillips Lee in an Expedition up the James River to Assist Army Troops - Decommissioned: 8 September 1898 and Sold 14 April 1904