American paratroopers in Sainte-Mère-Église. Founded in 1080, it's believed to have been the first town liberated by the Allies during D-Day. Though a small village, it was located in a strategic route. Anticipating that the Germans would use that route in a counter-attack, the Allied command ordered a major attack by the 82nd and 101st airborne divisions on June 6. Paratroopers started landing at 1:40 AM, suffering severe casualties, but finally defeating the German garrison at 5:00 AM.