Holy Trinity Church serves the ecclesiastical parish of Cuckfield. The earliest recorded date of the Church itself is 1092. Before his death in 1088, William de Warenne, 1st Earl of Surrey, drafted charters granting ‘all churches with appurtenances and all tithes’ to the Lewes Priory of St Pancras.
Evidence of the original Norman church will now be below ground in the foundations of the present church. The current building dates from the 13th century, with additions over the centuries. In particular, extensive reordering was carried out in the mid-Victorian era and the Church has many features by the celebrated architect Bodley and designer C E Kempe.
In 1125, Bishop Ralph of Chichester confirmed the Warenne grants to St Pancras Priory, including ‘Cucufelda’, and in about 1200, William, 5th Earl of Surrey, granted land ‘to God and the Church of Holy Trinity of Cukufeld.’