USS Anacapa, USN Q Ship, WW 2. Q-ships were heavily armed merchant ships with concealed weaponry, designed to lure submarines into making surface attacks. This gave Q-ships the chance to open fire and sink them. The basic ethos of every Q-ship was to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. They were used by the British Royal Navy (RN) during WWI and by both the RN and the United States Navy during the WWII, as a countermeasure against German U-boats and Japanese submarines.
Full Name: Birgitte Eva (Henriksen) van Deurs Titles: Her Royal Highness Princess Richard, Duchess of Gloucester, Countess of Ulster and Baroness Culloden Born: 20 June 1946, in Odense, Denmark Parents: Asger Preben Knud Wissen Henriksen and Vivian van Deurs
HMS Apollo (M01/N01) was an Abdiel-class minelayer of the Royal Navy, the eighth RN ship to carry the name. She served with the Home Fleet during World War II, taking part in the Normandy Landings before being transferred to the British Pacific Fleet. Put into reserve in 1946, she was recommissioned in 1951, serving until 1961, and was sold for scrapping in 1962.
PRINCE PHILLIP - ROYAL NAVY - Among other engagements, Philip was involved in the Battle of Crete, and was mentioned in despatches for his service during the Battle of Cape Matapan, in which he controlled the battleship's searchlights. He was also awarded the Greek War Cross of Valour. Duties of lesser glory included stoking the boilers of the troop transport ship RMS Empress of Russia. He was promoted to sub-lieutenant after a series of courses at Portsmouth in which he gained the…
Royal Navy - “HMS BLANKNEY” (L30) was a (280') Hunt Class Destroyer - Commissioned 11 April 1941 – Complement: 146 Officers and Enlisted Men – Armament: 6 x 4 Inch (102mm) QF Mk XVI Guns on Twin Mounts Mk XIX, 4 x 1.6 Inch (40mm) on Quad Mounts Mk VII, 2 x 20mm Oerlikon on Single Mount, 2 x Depth Charge P Mk.111 Throwers and 3 x Depth Charge P Mk.II0 Depth Racks - Was Paid Off May 1946 and Placed in Reserve – Was Put on the Disposal List 22 October 1948 and Sold for Scrapped 9 March 1949