Holy Trinity, Bungay The round tower of Holy Trinity church is considered to be the oldest building in the town. It's coursed flints, herringbone masonry and circular and round-headed windows suggest the late Saxon period but may only indicate that local builders of the early medieval period were still using archaic building methods. The north wall of the church also features coursed flints and has a "keyhole" window, but the remainder of the building was altered in later centuries.
St. Mary The Virgin, Rushall. In 1733 the church was reported to be in a 'nasty and ruinous condition'. However, Victorian restoration allowed it to survive to this day. This has left the interior very stark and without decoration. The lower part of the tower appears to be Saxon or Norman with a later octagonal belfry. The original south door has carvings of roses and crowns.
All Saints, Kirby Cane. As one approaches this church one sees that the walls are covered with render rather than the bare flints we are more accustomed to today. Around the base of the tower are short pilasters about eight inches wide, like narrow buttresses, presumably to give support. The entrance to the church is through a fine Norman south door which has an animal's head at it's apex. The font is 14th century and is crisply carved with male and female heads and shields.
St. Mary, Long Stratton. The tower is Norman, and this was an aisled church even before the Black Death. The big rarity here is the Sexton's Wheel. Only one other is known and that is in Yaxley, a short distance away. This is a Medieval device of two iron wheels which could be rotated to determine on which day to start a Lady Fast. This would be on one of the six festivals in a year celebrating the Blessed Virgin Mary and from that day the penitent would live on bread and water for 365…