“During World War II women responded with a variety of volunteer activities at home. Mechanics Institute took part in this mobilization with a majority of courses geared towards war production. In 1942 the school opened all programs to women and launched an intensive recruitment campaign. At the height of the war the percentage of women attending the institute reached 73%, up from 30% before the war.” Ca. 1940's.