Aluminum Group chairs began as a challenge among legendary designers. Eero Saarinen and Alexander Girard were designing the Columbus, Indiana, home of industrialist J. Irwin Miller. They wanted a high-quality seating product for outdoor use and asked Charles and Ray Eames to develop one.
This startling 1926 photograph shows the B3 club chair, the Wassili chair by Marcel Breuer, named after Bauhaus professor Wassili Kandinsky. Both Breuer and Kandinsky were Bauhaus teachers. The chair was a product of functionalist thinking about design, inspired by Breuer’s bicycle. The photograph was shot by Bauhaus student Erich Consemüller and shows a woman, either Bauhaus weaving graduate Lis Beyer or Ise Gropius, wife of Director Walter Gropius.