B&O "Thatcher Perkins" #147, a 4-6-0 ten-wheeler, was built in 1863 and actually carried American troops during the Civil War. It was retired in 1892 and in 1927 the railroad applied the name "Thatcher Perkins" to the engine and changed it's road number to 117 for the B&O Fair of the Iron Horse centennial celebration. After suffering "severe" damage after the collapse of the Railroad's Museum in 2003, it was beautifully restored back to it's original number for the first time since 1927.
Another class of steam locomotives was the 4-8-4 type. Used on many railways in the United States of America to power freight and passenger service. These dual service locomotives were call northerns on most railroads and others such as the C&O called them Greenbriers. Here is the Frisco Railway version of a Nothern painted in the Frisco Fast Freight paint scheme.
Missouri Pacific Railroad's engine 136 was probably the last steam-driven locomotive in Cape Girardeau. The picture was made in Mo-Pac's yard on April 14, 1953. (Missourian archives photo by G.D. "Frony" Fronabarger)
very nice photo of a Reading T1 taking on water while in freight service. The Reading Company built thirty of these 4-8-4 northern class locomotives from 2-8-0 consolidations in the Reading PA shops. Today four of these locomotives survive.