Kings Head, Stepney - The Kings Head was situated at 128 Commercial Road. This pub was built in the 1820s and survived until 2000, when it closed and was converted into commercial use. The premises are now used by a bank. It had been a Charrington’s Brewery pub. The 1986 local CAMRA pub guide to the area described it as being a ‘lively pub’ having a ‘cosmopolitan clientele’, thought to be non-politically correct code for saying that it was at the time favoured by the area’s immigrant…
Brewery Tap, Stepney - The Brewery Tap was situated at 500 Commercial Road. This pub closed and has now been converted to residential use.
The Laurel Tree, Stepney - The Laurel Tree was situated at 69 Brick Lane. This pub was present by 1813, at which time it was used for meetings of the Eastern Society of Master Pawnbrokers. It was rebuilt in 1901 by BJ Capell for Truman’s Brewery (which stood a few yards away) and the building still bears some cut-brick Truman’s signage from this date.
Oxford Arms, Stepney - The Oxford Arms was situated at 43 Stepney Way. This pub closed in 2004 and has now been demolished
The Queen Adelaide, 483 Hackney Rd, Bethnal Green, (Opened before renamed ‘The Hop Picker’ in renamed ‘Tantrums’ in renamed ‘Images’ in then renamed ‘Max’s Bistro’ and this year re-opened as ‘The Queen Adelaide’)