In 1917, a 97-bed hospital building was constructed on the corner of Jepson St. and Fourth Ave. Heated by coal-fired boilers, it had an emergency room, an operating room, a kitchen, and an isolation tent outside the grounds. In 1958, a police-escorted convoy transported the patients to a new, larger hospital. After renovations, The Salvation Army Eventide Home opened in 1960. Canada 150: Niagara Then and Now. Niagara Falls Public LIbrary.