The junction of Steep Street and Trenchard Street, Bristol, 1866. John Hill Morgan (b 1833), platinum print. This view was recorded five years before Steep Street, curving away to the left, was demolished and replaced by a realigned road, Colston Street. Steep Street existed in the medieval period when it was the main road from the centre of Bristol to Gloucester.
1866 medieval Steep Street from the junction with Trenchard Street
Steep Street - Host Street to Griffin Lane -road line altered and became Colston Street. 1871 Joseph Dann, chimney sweeper Edward Robins, umbrella maker John Murphy, newsagent Rosamond Holloway, marine stores John Weeks, boot maker This picture by Frost & Read of Steep Street curving away to the right was recorded five years before it was demolished and replaced by Colston street but on a different realignment.
* “The Gardener’s Daughter” This photograph had until recently, been known as "Woman in Garden", a purely descriptive title. However, in a catalogue - "List of Photographic Studies by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe" dating from around 1900, Sutcliffe gave the above title to this image. The location of this photograph was the garden of an old cottage in the grounds of Mulgrave Castle, the home of the Marquis and Marchioness of Normanby, approximately four miles from Whitby. One of his earlier…
1899 - A crowded Christmas Steps in the Victorian era with straw boaters mixing with flat caps. This is one part of ancient Bristol that has survived, virtually unchanged apart from the signs but the city beyond is very different. At one time sailing ships moored at the bottom of these steps before the river Frome was covered over.