Staincliffe House built 1869 The property was built by a merchant Thomas Walker who established a sawmill on Mainsforth Terrace. Initially it was known as ‘Staincliffe House’. On the death of Thomas Walker in 1900 the house was sold. In 1921 William Cresswell Gray, the younger son of Sir William Gray acquired Staincliffe House to be used as a convalescent home for his workforce. By 1929 the house had been bought to be used as a hotel.